Formed in 1998, Exempla Healthcare consists of three hospitals and a network of clinics throughout the Denver-metro area. It is a not-for-profit, community-based organization sponsored by the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth Health System and Community First Foundation.
Partners in Care
Exempla Saint Joseph Hospital in Denver, was established by the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth, Kansas, in 1873 to provide medical care to the underserved and later, to provide medical education as well.
Exempla Lutheran Medical Center in Wheat Ridge, Colorado, opened as Evangelical Lutheran Sanitarium in 1905 to help care for the thousands of tuberculosis patients moving to Colorado for its dry climate.
Exempla Good Samaritan Medical Center in Lafayette, Colorado, opened in 2004 to provide leading medical care to one of the fastest growing regions in the country.
Exempla Physician Network, is a network of clinics providing primary care, occupational medicine and rehabilitation services, some of which have been caring for the community for more than 20 years.
Robert Ladenburger, President and CEO, Exempla Healthcare
A 10-member Board of Directors, with representatives from Community First Foundation and SCLHS.
Employees - 7,068
Medical Staff Physicians (some may be affiliated with more than one hospital) - 2,139
Residents (ESJH only) - 101
Volunteers - 1,346, providing 77,414 hours annually
Exempla Vision, Mission and Fact Sheets
To foster healing and health for the people and communities we serve.
We will be distinguished as the premier person-centered health system and trusted partner.
We will share accountability with clinicians and other stakeholders to coordinate care across all settings and improve access, quality, health outcomes and affordability.
We will grow as community-based health networks to serve more people in partnership with others who share our vision and values.
Exempla Good Samaritan Medical Center
200 Exempla Circle, Lafayette
Dave Hamm, President and CEO
234 licensed beds, with potential to expand to 350 as the community grows
Exempla Lutheran Medical Center
8300 West 38th Avenue, Wheat Ridge
Grant Wicklund, President and CEO
400 licensed beds
Exempla Saint Joseph Hospital
1835 Franklin Street, Denver
Bain Farris, President and CEO
565 licensed beds
Exempla Physician Network
Lisa Wetherbee, Vice President, Physician Services and Business Development
Exempla Good Samaritan Medical Center Foundation
- Laura Folsom, Vice President of Development and Executive Director Foundation
- Funds used to secure advanced medical technology, foster the best clinical care practices and support the hospital's efforts in the community
- Manages ten separate funds benefiting all areas of the medical center.
Lutheran Medical Center Foundation
- Carol Salzmann, VP, Community Development and Executive Director, Lutheran Medical Center Foundation
- Formed in fall 2007, exclusively dedicated to helping Lutheran fulfill its mission of fostering healing and health for the people and communities it serves
- Funds support grants toward innovative medical technology and stae-of-the-art equipment, improvement of facilities, education, charity care and other services
Saint Joseph Hospital Foundation
- Colleen Sandrin, President and CEO, Saint Joseph Hospital Foundation
- Formed in 1977 as a fund-raising arm for Exempla Saint Joseph Hospital
- Funds support the hospital's care to the underserved and medical education efforts